Gawrsh, this thread is FUN!!!

Johnny V seems to assume "the days of payola" are over, but howcome DJs no longer get to pick the music they play, if that's the case? & WHY does the public LET this happen..& look the other way when Payola's merely changed Form & Players these days?

Meanwhile, Gaga's the Latest Incarnation of Someone-Who-Can-Shock-Our-Parents...(WITH a good bit of Overall Talent, JMO/Hey, say what ya want, it takes a Certain Talent to sleep with The RIGHT Producer!) I remember when KISS got popular (very) with platform shoes/Makeup Jobs & Freaky Costumes...& Tossaway Hits like "I Want to Rock & Roll All Night"... Took far LESS Production than what Gaga has to go through..but, heh, THOSE guys are considered "Classics" & Gene Simmonds has his own Reality Show..at this Late Date.

"Don't stop/ for anyone/We're plastic/but we'll still have fun" goes one verse of Gaga's "PAPARAZZI" Hit.

I dunno WHY we've gotta Analyze Someone's Success "to death", but That Verse sorta says-it-all. Sooner or later, what's "Cutting Edge" gets kinda-dull...whether it's Platform Shoes...or Costumes that look like you're Duchamp's "Nude Descending a Staircase"...& Only The SONGS Remain.

I Googled lyrics to "Caught in a Bad Romance"...hmmm...not much better than "My Baby Does the Hanky-Panky"...back in "My Day"...
but it's Hook-Laden & catchy-enough to have caught on WITHOUT a lotta Payola, JMO.

Waal, back to Lurk Mode, knowing full-well that The Music Biz'll continue full-tilt without needing any of Our Opinions!

Best Wishes/Big Hugs,
Stan