|
7 members (Everett Adams, Gary E. Andrews, texritter, bennash, Michael W. Brown, Sunset Poet, 1 invisible),
41,708
guests, and
6,031
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Goldroom
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 01:40 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
SOMA
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 11:11 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 61
Serious Contributor
|
Serious Contributor
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 61 |
I have to admit I am totally clueless as to the reason there is so much resistance to So called "commercial" music. Commercial music is "what sells" If it wasn't enjoyable nobody would buy it or listen to it. It's kind of like these threads that talk about success. Well you know what? In 63 years of life I have never met a person with money that said it mattered. I have also never met a person without money who said it did not mattter. The people that tout all this happy family bull being success have one thing in common. They all have had success in their business life. seems strange that none of them are happy about it.
This "selling out" mentality is silly. I bet if you ask any of the lyric writers here if they could get a cut by a major recording star would they turn it down? I think not. If you asked them if they would be willing to rewrite their song to make it "commercial" Tim McGraw or Kenny Chesney would cut it, Would they say no? I think not.
I posted a couple posts about my experiences this week in Nashville. I gave examples of what went on in the Pitch to publisher and publisher critique sessions. Not one comment on either. I don't get it.
I guess I'd have to give Kudos to you Prodigies here who don't need Pro critiques or demos done by professionals but most of us are ordinary people who will take all the help they can get, LOL.
I would gladly take any of the songs I have penned and rewrite it and have the music done a different way if it would make it more commercial. This Bullshit of having my family and friends tell me how wonderful my songs are just ain't makin' it.
Sitting in on a few Profesional Pitch to Publisher events is a real eye opener. I can't believe the poor quality of most of the songs. These songs are "ART" These writers won't "SELL OUT" but you know what? They are not getting pickup up either.
I am making it my mission to get a commercial cut. I am going to figure out what it is they want if it's the last thing I do. I will write some "ART" for my friends and relatives but my focus is going to be "COMMERCIAL".
If it is crap, well so be it. As long as the royalty checks start coming in.
Sometimes people like "Commercial songs" because of the availability, this dose not mean the song is necessarily good or bad. It just means these songs get tons of air play, usually due to people/lables with deep pockets that can afford to push it with heavy promotion. "Pop" songs tend to repeat the same phrases constantly...and yes there is a psychology to this as with any type of advertisement, and repetition coupled with simple lyrics makes for a memorable hit. I respect and understand that fact that people need to get paid in order to live. We all do what we can to make it in life, while hopefully passing on a little something positive to the next generation. I am also aware that some pop songs are very deep touching, and beautiful. But for the most part, this kind of music is about making a quick buck. It is what it is. I don't think the money making songwriters should look down on those who wish to write deep stirring complex songs, and vice versa. I will say there is no better feeling than to have total strangers come in from off the street and into the venue in which you perform, and say "I love your music...you guys are talented." With our own words and in our own way, and no amount of money can put a price on that natural high. Each person will decide what music or song writing means to them, lots of money, fun, a message story whatever. I accept my responsibility that goes with what I'm doing as regards to the music biz. I do what works best for me and my situation, and that is all anyone can do. As for places like TAXI, I sent things in so as to get a critique and got nothing!!! No comment on anything good or bad. No advice at all, and believe me...I'd love to know what the industry pros are thinking. After this went on for some time, I saw that it was an obvious waste of money, for my cause. So now, I'm just going to work my way up the totem pole gig after gig, and do endless research, because I get better results this way, than to invest in things like TAXI or SonicBids
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,097
Posts1,185,815
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"Sharing in your success is the payback to those who shared in your failure." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|