|
7 members (texritter, CTthomas, Bill Draper, bennash, Michael W. Brown, Everett Adams, 1 invisible),
34,019
guests, and
5,824
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 8,240 Likes: 6
Top 25 Poster
|
Top 25 Poster
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 8,240 Likes: 6 |
Hummingbird, what exactly do they say? how did what they said help you? Where can I listen to Pat's songs? post a few lyrics that show your progress from before you read their stuff, and after. I won't ask again but I'm willing to wager you won't. or can't.
I don't doubt all these people have "inspired" you...you seem more enamored of people who write about music than music itself!
I'm sure they're all great speakers, but remember this...the whoring-est southern preacher yells an inspiring sermon. He packs the pews because of his dynamic personality...hell, that's how he bags the broads! just don't peek behind the curtain cos the wizard ain't no wizard. lots of people in religion, politics and yes, songwriting are afraid to part the curtain and see the Britney songs.
there are four kinds of people:
1) the 9-5 workaday guy/gal who's the backbone of society.
then there's peeps not so inclined to the punchclock...
2) artists 3) gamblers/sports figures 4) criminals
your basic artist is allergic to following rules...he's creative and wants to do it his way. he's not above learning from those that inspired him to be an artist, but the Mona Lisa wasn't painted by the numbers.
there are certain artists who have a mind for glad-handing and working their way up the ladder like an office droid up to the cubicle with a better view of the rubber plant by the elevator. He'll make money and get promoted but since his spirit is closer to the 9-5 guy(nothing wrong with that), his stuff will be rote and yawn-worthy.
the best art is made by the guy whose spirit is closer to the gambler, if not the criminal. he's gonna fall on his ass a bunch of times taking risks but when he's on, he's on. that's why there's some really awful Neil Young albums out there but damn, there's some great ones, too.
when I first came on the net in '99 this guy suggested I read some Pat Pattison book. I didn't know they existed...I thought the only way to learn to write songs was from songs. I was intrigued...curious even. Then this guy posted some lyrics he wrote and they stunk. scared me off Pat. That pattern's been repeated over and over since then. "I suck but damn, I sure am inspired by these guys!"
forget that 12 steps to a better McSong crap. when you sit down to write a lyric or compose a melody...think like a criminal.
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,082
Posts1,185,776
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
There are no members with birthdays on this day. |
|
|
|