I don't recognize any of the songs in the top ten. That says something... could be I'm a cru.., curmug..., stick-in-the-mud grin

So what fraction of those Billboard chart songs are positive?

And, as Ray pointed out, what is a positive song? Is it one of those "I know it when I hear it things?"

"Like a Rolling Stone" always shows up at the top of the polls of best songs. Dylan didn't get the memo, I guess. Is "Hey Jude" positive or negative? "Satisfaction" by the Stones? "Let it Be"?

I wonder what about movies? Casablanca shows up on everybody's list of favorites. He gave up the love of his life at the end. Positive or negative? Was positive for Paul Henreid, I guess. grin

And the movie usually considered to be the best ever? Citizen Kane - Hard to put a positive spin on that one.... grin

Actually, the argument is probably that you should do positive songs in bad times. I'd like to see a study on that - both for movies and songs. Is the reverse true? Good times call for sad songs?

Just rambling, trying to avoid doing any work... smile

Scott