Hi Marc....We all do the best we can....Some of the most beatiful songs ever written are negative songs....There have been protest songs and love gone wrong songs for a very long time. I see people up dancing enjoying themselves and laughing at some of the shallow up tempo songs...but when a sad song that really hits the spot comes on you can feel the atmosphere. There is more than enough room for both types of song. Sad that a particular genre should only want up tempo songs and that writers are encouraged to write these type rather than slow ballads.
I have sung with bands for many years and generally a good mix is what is required....a mood change especially goes down well and towards the end of the evening people want a good old fashioned slowy...to cuddle up to.
Every human has moodswings and every musician and songwriter has to cater for each occasion.
Some of the most memorable timeless songs are sad tearjerkers.
FUN in their own way.
Ask any couple about "THEIR SONG" I bet it is not up tempo but a tearjerker or slow ballad.
Whether it is a toetapper or a tearjerker songs "move" people.
The skill element is knowing when and where and why we write or perform these. Writing is not just about words and music it is about capturing emotions and feelings and being able to package it.
Dreams are a valuable currency in a bank.....you have to deposit some before you can make a withdrawal.

I also have met and worked with some great people in the business some are genuine down to earth nice people...others.... well?
For what it is worth..the higher up the ladder the more down to earth they generally are....I have met some real idiots who "THINK" they are somebody....when they are in fact a nobody.