|
7 members (Gary E. Andrews, Guy E. Trepanier, texritter, Michael W. Brown, Andy K, CTthomas, 1 invisible),
46,206
guests, and
6,030
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303 Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303 Likes: 1 |
Big Jim:
Ok I don't write to a musical pattern except what I feel, so maybe I am missing out. It's the work that I put in that is the crux of the matter. A lot of time and effort. I don't just penn them out.
--- quote --- I also think it is ethically dubious to claim creative and financial rights and rewards for work that is clearly in the main done by others. Sadly this seems to have become accepted practice in the industry as needs must for starving musicians. --- unquote ---
I dont claim creative credit Big Jim. But I never invented this system. I want the best that I can get and if someone is willing to do it FOR MY HARD EARNED money then I am fine with that.
If the studio who does my music etc said to me that they won't charge me but want the music rights then I would go for it.
I am not greedy. They invented the system. Pay now and take the risk. That's what I do.
--- quote --- The music history books are littered with musicians who were the real force responsible for a hit but only got paid a pittance on a work for hire agreement. --- unquote ---
I am not saying this is not so Big Jim and I do understand. But. When I pay quite a lot of mpney for a demo, I can only use that as a demo. As it is I can't make any return on my investment. Unless I get a cut with it and then maybe still I will make nothing.
So I have 20 songs done in the studio and spend a vast sum of money and none of them go anywhere. Do I get money back.
If an artist hears my demo and says I love this song but instead of a ballard I want to do it as a rap so your melody will have to go.
Do I get a refund from the studio. No. They are already working on their next demo song.
Overall I suspect that lyric writers are the big losers when it comes to spending money at demo studios. (I could be wrong)
These are not my rules Big Jim. I used to use studios in London and can remember paying $5000 for a demo.
The song never saw the light of day, but according to the studio guy, I had a guarenteed No.1 hit. Yep he saw me coming.
So I'm wiser now. Some of the musicans who work on my songs and get paid by me may be working for a pittance.
But Big Jim. I pay two weeks wages for those demos and me and Helen live on cheap food to be able to do that.
It is our choice to do that so we can't complain. When a studio gives a price, it is their choice.
Looking at Niteshifts comments earlier, I could say to the musicians instead of being a musician get a Job that pays more. Learn to be a computer tek like me, but I wouldn't dream of saying that.
We all do what we do by choice.
Anyway gotta go know for a while.
God Bless roy and Helen
'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,068
Posts1,185,741
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|