I could say that it happened despite belief and religion rather than because of it. Many advancements, inventions and scientific developments were and are still deliberately held back because narrow minded religious folk refuse to accept change or alternative views. Do not forget the death and destruction man has caused as a direct result of these misguided beliefs. Many remote tribes have got culture and rituals and morals etc etc not to mention a zero crime rate without the trappings of any religion yet we call them uncivilised. I also am of the belief that much of the religious ideology taught and perpetuated is morally wrong and corrupt. Few if any Judeo/Christian cultures truly recognise women as equals.....and many go out of their way to thwart anything that differs from their beliefs or offers alternatives. Some religions are so afraid of independent scrutiny that they pronounce as evil and punish anything that even remotely questions their own beliefs, teachings or authority.
I have no problem other than a disagreement with believers who keep their faith to themselves and do no harm to others......BUT I have grave problems with any religion who tries to impose its will on others especially those who do not believe as they do.
As for a creation theory whilst it remains a possibility... because I cannot prove otherwise.... on the balance of evidence and my cynical skepticism it remains an improbability. A man made idea with no evidence to even remotely back it up. Whilst we Westerners pray to God and amass our wealth people starve to death in other parts of the world.