Originally Posted by Brian Austin Whitney
I am the most surprised by the fall of Juliana's song so quickly after spending the whole month in the top 5. It seems odd that 1 day of voting could drop a top song all the way down into the 40's and that people suddenly and overwhemlingly started to vote against it, unless it's people trying to trash the top ranked songs on purpose.

It looks like that happened to a number of us. In my case, my song didn't get any additional plays over the time it fell - so it moved because people were voting on other songs. Makes sense - it's a bowl of jello smile

Let me repeat myself that Ourstage is the best system I've seen. But I also think that any system can be gamed. I suspect with a few months experience, it would be possible to do enough experiments to figure out how to maximize your song's chances. I won't do so because that's not where my interests lie. But I do think it would be interesting to see what effect, if any, the following would have:

(1) Don't let people know where they stand. Or, maybe let them know where they stand but not where anyone else stands. This would eliminate the temptation to score songs above you lower than those below you.

(2) Do not allow to vote "same". I think Juliana has a point. It seems to me that if you rate your own song higher when it comes up (as rare as that may be) and rate every other battle equal, then you can maximize your song's rating.

(3) Require listens of 30 sec rather than 15. For people who enjoy listening to music, this isn't asking much. But it would probably lower the effect of gamers.

Again, none of us are privy to the algorithm they use. But there is one. And if there is one, it can be determined empirically. smile

Scott