Re: Use of photos/images to effect song judging.

Problem:
I think sometimes a "bad" or off-topic image could hurt a song more than help. And other times, a really great photo or image could maybe help a song, even though it's not that great or well produced.

Possible solution:
One possible solution is to take the image completely out of the judging criteria. That would be very easy to do and might also speed things up with the song loading for each battle between two songs. All that's really needed is the song title. They already strip out the song description, so that doesn't effect the voting. I'm not sure, but maybe they could also strip out the name of band or songwriter to provide for a truly "blind" vote.

The result would be that the music would have to be judged only by these two criteria:
1. The song itself.
2. Name of song. This is fairly mute because a least some reference is needed to identify the song.

Again, ideally there would be NO images displayed during the judging/voting process and possibly NO songwriter, band or composer identitity as this could also influence the vote based on the popularity of the artist.

Currently I bet many fans are voting for their favorite artists based on their image, name and past contest reputation with other songs. For example, they may have heard a great song by an artist and then later vote for the artist again in another contest or channel because they're already familiar with that artist.

If OurStage was purely a marketing & popularity contest, it could work like that. Just encourage every artist to bring in droves of friends and fans from MySpace, SoundClick, PureVolume, Garageband, Broadjam, CD Baby and JPF, etc. and then see who's got the biggest crowd of fans and loyal supporters.

It would be a "no brainer" to predict who's going to win these kinds of popularity contests. Boring, boring... but that's how real music marketing often works. The artists/labels with the biggest promotion budgets and fan clubs will normally win because they know how to play that game.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself. -- Johann Sebastian Bach

MichaelBorges.com
LicenseQuote.com