Originally Posted by Steve Vaclavik
Here's my one gallon of gas worth....

Music is a popularity contest....you develop fans - those fans then request your music on radio and buy your CDs (or download them) and you gain more popularity/more fans. Those who develop and have a large fanbase should definitely use it to their advantage. That's what keeps the artist popular. I don't think there should be any expectation of anyone's fans to be impartial on Ourstage or anywhere else. They're fans because they like that particular artist. It would be kind of like expecting New York Yankee fans to cheer for the Boston Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. Ain't gonna happen.

Ourstage is a click and move site much like other click and move sites (probably carried out in a much fairer fashion than most). Folks with larger fanbases will probably do better. I enjoy being a part of it and have no expectations. Maybe that's why I enjoy it. I've heard some really great artists I would otherwise never have heard. I've heard some real clunkers too. Are the best songs always winning? Maybe, maybe not. Are the best songs always at the top of Billboard and being played on radio?

Steve V

Well said. Similar to the earlier question about whether pictures should be included with the songs, I think absolutely that an artist is a package deal. They come with music, yes, but they also come with an image and (hopefully) a fan base. Those things cannot be overlooked because they are equally important in an individual's path to success. Nobody claims that the music business is fair; I think we all know that by now! But at least OurStage has a much better voting system. Most other sites let you just skip right to your favorite entry, instead of forcing you to explore, vote on, and enjoy other music. wink