Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,911 Likes: 1
Top 30 Poster
|
Top 30 Poster
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 7,911 Likes: 1 |
I have been pondering this thread for a while and didn't know what to say until I went to see Roger McGuinn on Friday night. Then I realized that when I was growing up I listened to surf bands, to folkies, to jazz, and early rock 'n roll, but when I first heard the Byrds, it was nirvana. Roger says he took folk songs and added a Beatle beat, but it was more than that. Think Mr. Tambourine Man or Turn, Turn, Turn and that Rickenbaker 12-string playing the opening riff, then the rest of the band coming in, and then the voices and harmonies of McGuinn, Crosby, Clark and Hillman.....wow.
Even today, when I hear those songs opening with the 12-string, I get chills. They had the lyrics (often Dylan's or their own), the melodies, the riffs, the harmonies, the rhythm. Roger gets the credit of being the inventor and the architect and the rest of them brought the voices and the songs. I would be hard pressed to pick one song because there were many that used a similar formula. It was not just the melody, the lyrics, the chord progression, it was the whole package - the sound!!!
By the way, Roger does a great one man show now playing the Ricky as well as acoustic guitars - Byrds, folk, blues, etc.
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,064
Posts1,185,735
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"Sometimes reaching a goal earlier than planned is a great achievement. It shows you have worked hard, pushed ahead and made it happen. However, sometimes reaching a goal far past your original deadline, long after you wanted to complete it, and after the accolades you might once have gotten for the achievement are over, it is an even greater achievement. This shows you never gave up, due to adversity, deficit, criticism and those little life detours that end many dreams and goals. In many ways, this is a reason for even more pride!" -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
There are no members with birthdays on this day. |
|
|
|