Doug:

Excellent observation about the John Denver tune - simple, direct, unafraid to express pure, positive emotion. Once again, as I harp on so often - hit songs make people feel better.

Interesting, too. I was also living in Montreal when "Sunshine" was a hit - as a member of a colorful rock band called the Wackers (Elektra Records). I distictly remember a convertible screeching down Marcil Ave in NDG playing that song at max volume. I found that ironic enough to be memorable.

Another song that came out around that time that really captured my attention was "Ricky, Don't Lose That Number" by Steely Dan. It was the groove that got me first. Then, the tidiness of the production. But, ultimately, what a great composition - sophisticated, yet accessible and irresistable. A great groove is always seductive.

(Shameless plug alert) BTW, in my book there is a chapter describing an outrageous stunt the Wackers pulled on the eve of opening for the Doors at Carnegie Hall in around 1972.

Rand Bishop
songwriter/producer/author Makin' Stuff Up, secrets of song-craft and survival in the music-biz
www.makinstuffup.net


Rand Bishop
Songwriter/producer/author