|
5 members (bennash, texritter, Michael W. Brown, Everett Adams, 1 invisible),
70,517
guests, and
6,107
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,339 Likes: 6
Top 40 Poster
|
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,339 Likes: 6 |
Hello Rand. Not to sure if this is what you were looking for but felt to share none the less. I admire how some have really disected particuliars of the 'song'. For the most part I know what I like but cannot always find the words to describe the 'why'>
When I was seventeen years old (1975) a very close friend, who passed away about 4 years later, had created a audio cassette of selected artists and played it on my cousins cassette player. He had some Bread, James Taylor, CCR, and other popular artists/bands of the time.
He also had “Sunshine On My Shoulders” by John Denver.
At this point of my life I was aware of what was going on in the music world by what was being played on the popular radio stations and by what our bus driver had playing on his system on our school bus.
I had never heard of Denver, even though he had been around a while by ‘75 but not as much in Montreal, and was just taken by the honesty in his voice and the simplicity of the lyric. In my seventeen years on this planet, and during that ruff time of teenage years (not the child, not a man) here was someone who hit a chord with me.
From the opening rift to the final statement he had me. This was a song.
That introduction lead me to writing and over the years it has been him that has influenced not only my passion for it but in how I structure most of my lyrics.
Denver taught me how to write simple, direct lyrics and to this day I still keep his melodies in mind.
Since 1975 I have composed over three hundred songs, some have been put out there and have been successful in their own way, others lay un-used but kept as examples of the how the craft moves up and down.
Interestingly enough even though he was and is my main diet of music I do not believe I have ever written a song like his or for him. (I found that what he did was write those songs for me.)
Douglas
Last edited by Doug Dude; 02/27/09 05:05 PM.
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,073
Posts1,185,750
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|