|
7 members (texritter, KyleCrawford, Michael W. Brown, bennash, Guy E. Trepanier, CTthomas, 1 invisible),
21,934
guests, and
5,600
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,589 Likes: 1
Top 40 Poster
|
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,589 Likes: 1 |
Rand, your post describes where I "live" musically, enraptured by structure, and the interplay of all the elements of a song.
I was born in '61, and my earliest musical memory is from when I was maybe four years old or so, and dazzled by the Beatles single "Eight Days a Week"/"I Don't Want to Spoil the Party". Both songs affected me equally, and I was old enough to play that 45 on that old suitcase record player, and flip it over, again and again.
Looking back, that 45 taught me everything I needed to know about structure, songcraft, performance, production choices. That chiming intro/outro on "Eight Days a Week", those spinetingling crisp harmonies in perfect counterpoint, the wry viewpoints expressed that made me want to know more about the singers.
But most of all, I "saw" the structure of those songs. It started with this part...then went to that...it changed there, wow, so neat...then a return to the other part...
That was the best lesson the Beatles taught me, to be aware of a song's skeleton, and to consider how to DO that. All through my childhood I listened to records like a songwriter, analyzing songs, keenly aware of the structure and the choices made...and I never realized that until I actually started writing them.
There are a lot of marvelous songs to look at, but those two are the ones the first grabbed me...and man, they never did let go.
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,051
Posts1,185,700
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|