One of the songs that smacked me upside the head back then and still does today is "I Was Made to Love Her" by Stevie Wonder. Pure, unrelenting pop ecstasy. Nonstop hooks. Sheer pulsing excitement. You've got the Funk Brothers backing up Stevie's powerhouse performance, and from the first note, it's all thrills. The production is fascinating, using that electric sitar for the main riff, then a NEW and better riff jumps in when Stevie plays that chromatic harmonica with typical crisp perfection. The chord pattern sounded unlike anything before it, even though it mostly hinges on those three chords that rise up, a whole tone at a time, "yeah...yeah...yeahh". And it just goes on, over and over again...no change up into chorus, no bridge...not necessary, either, because the riff is so fresh, energetic and compelling.

Okay, I ran out of adjectives for "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" and "Tears of a Clown"...but there are two other brilliantly crafted and extremely compelling songs.

Okay, Big Jim...Motown, check.

LOVE Motown.