|
7 members (Gary E. Andrews, texritter, bennash, Michael W. Brown, Guy E. Trepanier, CTthomas, 1 invisible),
38,797
guests, and
6,032
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Toxic
by Rob B. - 10/04/26 02:16 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,403
Top 40 Poster
|
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,403 |
DAvid:
ZEN? Undoubtedly--we are all ZENners here in this vale of tears, I believe (and he or she who is without ZEN will no doubt be the first to start casting stones when they read this).
Don't know what the pros think--I ain't one, and they've never advised me (that I know of). All I know I've learned from other people or on my own. That I'm willing to promulgate advice does not mean I have any professional credentials that should make you want to listen to it.
I agree with Truman (except that I usually allow myself a little more time--I mostly can't get a coherent thought out in 3 minutes, no matter how ruthlessly I whip the words, but have a shot at 3-1/2 to 5).
I don't ask my words to support a title. (If I ask 'em to do too much, they'll join a union.) The title for me is an afterthought--it's the quick-and-dirty shorthand label I'll assign to it *after it's all written* that is basically how I think people are going to request the song. That's all it is. "Concept" is one of them "fuzzy" words I try not to use--it's a bunch of facts with the fact part taken out.
Yes, people's perception of a song is subjective, because everybody's different and has a different frame of reference. I guess the job for the Master Wordsmith is to communicate an idea coherently enough that as wide as possible a range of other people will perceive the idea the same way you do (and yes, will appreciate it, and come back, and tell their friends, and give you money, &c.)
In my opinion, it is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. Thanks for the opportunity to pontificate.
Joe
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,081
Posts1,185,775
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"The great thing about a dream come true, is that it is born with a great appetite. That appetite keeps it growing and evolving and it swallows up all those other dreams you have and spits them back out as reality as well." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
There are no members with birthdays on this day. |
|
|
|