|
9 members (texritter, KyleCrawford, Gary E. Andrews, Michael W. Brown, bennash, Guy E. Trepanier, CTthomas, Sunset Poet, 1 invisible),
22,996
guests, and
5,590
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 4,372
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 4,372 |
It's fun to talk about this stuff...but, we need to remember the main rule.
There ain't no rules !
There's nothing more mysterious than the formula for hit songs. Remember, it's all subjective.
What Buzz calls a "crap" song may be a gem to me. Buzz sez artists get away with crap songs later in their career...sorry, Buzz...a study of the "one hit wonders" alone proves that just isn't true.
Again...it's subjective...
If a song is successful, if people are taking it home witht them, quoting it, singina nd dancing along...who the heck are any of us to decide it's "crap"
If we could write crap like that we probably wouldn't be working that day job , now would we ?!?
I don't mean to yell at anybody...everybody has a right to call a song crap if they want...I know there's certainly alot of hits I can't figure out.
Every line must stand on it's own is just one more "rule" to get in the way of good songwriting.
Two of the hits that I find loaded with what I call "throwaway" lines are Yesterday by the Beatles and People by Streisand.
I can't remember who wrote "People"..but I think it's dreadful.
Anyway....forget rules.....write songs.....
Bob
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,051
Posts1,185,700
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|