|
8 members (KyleCrawford, texritter, bennash, Michael W. Brown, Everett Adams, Raymond Byabazaire, Gary E. Andrews, 1 invisible),
77,929
guests, and
5,990
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:39 PM
|
Afro Pop
by Raymond Byabazaire - 10/01/26 12:38 PM
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Michael W. Brown - 09/30/26 07:17 PM
|
|
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,403
Top 40 Poster
|
Top 40 Poster
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,403 |
Another couple cents (I think I already gave two cents before).
"Nashville" (and L.A., and wherever else we think of The Music Biz beijng located) is interested (in my opinion) in *selling records* (or whatever passes for records nowadays--CDs?). The market for those records appears (my opinion) to be more people like my teenaged daughter. Not me--I have yet to buy a single CD (though I've been given a couple). The other musicians I hang out with appear to be mostly the same way; if they buy anything, it's sheet music. More importantly, our audience appears to be the same way: they may be going out of their way to attend live performances, but they're not buying CDs.
In part, that's because there's nothing on CDs they want to hear, and the live performances are playing stuff they want to hear--but I don't think that's the whole reason (or all the reasons). I'm really not sure if Our Kind Of Music were available commercially that they would buy CDs anyway. Part of it is probably that the live performances are a social occasion, important for people in the country (it's a lot like the concerts I went to in college, with smaller amps and fewer illegal substances), and part of it is the experience of Real People Doing Creative Things--important, I think, in this largely spoon-fed, run-by-experts world.
If Nashville (or whoever) isn't going to make any money off selling CDs toi those people, why should it bother to cater to those people's tastes? People like my daughter, on the other hand, are Guaranteed Sales of the whatever-the-parents'-wallets-will-bear variety, and I guess I shouldn't be surprised or bothered that that's what The Music Biz is catering to.
I admit to being personally bothered that a lot of creativity (namely, mine) is being lost to a potentially wide audience because of this syndrome. In other words, I think I'm bothered by Nashville Missing The Boat primarily because I'm in it.
Thanks for the opportunity to comment.
Joe
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,064
Posts1,185,735
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"Sometimes reaching a goal earlier than planned is a great achievement. It shows you have worked hard, pushed ahead and made it happen. However, sometimes reaching a goal far past your original deadline, long after you wanted to complete it, and after the accolades you might once have gotten for the achievement are over, it is an even greater achievement. This shows you never gave up, due to adversity, deficit, criticism and those little life detours that end many dreams and goals. In many ways, this is a reason for even more pride!" -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
There are no members with birthdays on this day. |
|
|
|