|
10 members (KyleCrawford, texritter, Gary E. Andrews, Michael W. Brown, bennash, Guy E. Trepanier, CTthomas, Sunset Poet, Everett Adams, 1 invisible),
23,520
guests, and
5,580
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303 Likes: 1
Top 100 Poster
|
Top 100 Poster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,303 Likes: 1 |
Roy...Do you think that musical knowledge and the ability to understand the structure of chords and melody helps or hinders a lyricist? Sure it will help Big jim, in lots of cases, but not all. Some, myself included just do not have the apptitude for music. WE REALLY DON'T. No one seems to understand that. Everyone keeps saying, it's easy to learn to play an instrument. Of course a musician would say that, they have the apptitude for music and maybe quite a few years behind them. So if that is the case, do we give up writing lyrics, and be made to feel that we are half persons, or do we work on writing the best lyrics that we can. WORKING on what we can do well. I listen to the lyricist and try to do as he asks...I will often put my own stamp on the piece and sometimes recommend changing a melody or altering some lyrics.
Sure you do Big Jim, because of your experiance. But surly you must sometimes get lyrics with someone singing them and playing an instrument badly where you think,'Oh No'this is total crap'. I can understand advice and helping, thats what you do. But if I call you and say, Big Jim, I am a songwriter and I have been playing the guitar for 6 months and I have a song I would like you to demo for me. Here it is. Because I have learnt to play the guitar, does that mean you have an advantage when doing me a demo for me, because of what I give you. Or if my twin brother gave you his lyrics and told you the style and genra he was looking for, and some singers who it thought the song would suit. And he asked for YOU to make the melody and the demo. And the lyrics were well done for you to work with, would he have the advatage with you. I hope that makes sense. God Bless Roy and Helen
'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,051
Posts1,185,700
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|