Hello David!
Thanks for bringing up that question again...
"Can we put in a vote for our own song entry"?

I've been thinking about it, and here's a few of my initial thoughts:

1. If a writer's lyric is strong enough, it will get high ratings even if the writer doesn't vote for himself. Hence, by having a situation were lyric writers don't vote for themselves, the contest would provide them with a more objective result than if they had in any way "skewed" the results by having placed their song in first position and thereby gained that extra 5 points.

2. I don't think it would be necessarily unfair or unethical for a contestant to vote for himself, but I think that overall the results would be more realistic and helpful if we excluded the possibility of voting for our own submission. It would force each of us to look long and hard (if need be) to weigh all other submissions relative to their own worth in our opinion.

3. It would be very interesting if at some point we could all find out what our total point ratings was. Perhaps this could be listed at the top of each song entry next to the song ID number or title after the votes are in! Hence, everyone could at least get an idea of how their lyric rating compared to all the others. It would be fun to compare which lyrics got higher ratings to perhaps find a general trend to study!

I think that the overall process of the contest can be very rewarding in itself, even for those that don't rank "top 10%" and go on to the final levels of judging.

Frankly, I could see it go either way, but I think it would be great if the rules spelled it out clearly one way or the other. If not, I believe that some folks may take the liberty to vote for themselves while others would restrain, perhaps out of modesty or politeness, etc.

Again, if we could all get on the same page with this question, I think it would bring better and more useful contest results! [Linked Image]

Let's see what Brian & Ozone Pete come up with!

Regards,
Michael Borges

------------------
Not perfect but... PERFECTLY forgiven!


[This message has been edited by Michael Borges (edited 09-03-2002).]


There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself. -- Johann Sebastian Bach

MichaelBorges.com
LicenseQuote.com