Hey guys,
I am so sorry, i don't know if i expressed myself properly when i wrote that last note. I was not giving my "opinion on what people should or shouldn't write". In fact, that paragraph focussed not on the songwriting but on life and its reflection in our songwriting, if you get the difference.
You write about your life, i write about mine. Both are honest - the level of honesty is what is responsible for the quality of the song - but *now* i cannot write songs about depression and hopelessness because i simply can't empathise with them myself. "Perspective" is grand , but it can leave you blind - how's that for a paradox? Something more to chew on....
In my note i mentioned that i thanked God that i was born in India, for the simple reason that the problems you face, we don't (or to a much lesser degree, at least), and that makes for happier songs, doesn't it? I don't mean "happy-happy,joy-joy" songs, i just mean that we can empathise with songs that believe (not in desperation, but honestly) in the silver lining.
Ozone Pete spoke of "thoughtful treatment of an unpleasant subject matter" - ah, there's the proverbial rub. I might have been wrong, but though i did identify some "perspective-building" songs, many of the others did strike me as being "self-absorbed wallowing in misery". Not that it detracts from the quality of the song - in fact, these songs are often loads better (i'm voting for them, take note of that!), but , as i said twice already, they just make me thankful I was born away from the kind of life these songs portray.
Sorry if what i said was of any provocation to anybody, it was not meant to be. I was just so tired of hearing about how hopeless life is, that i decided to tell you all to cheer up. Why, i myself cheered up considerably just by writing that note! And this one too, though now i'm scared of whom i'm going to offend next.

A living oxymoron, (moron is right, hey? <G> )
Pramod


I used to have an open mind, but my brains just kept falling out...