|
5 members (bennash, Gary E. Andrews, Guy E. Trepanier, texritter, 1 invisible),
41,483
guests, and
5,929
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Goldroom
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/08/26 01:40 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
SOMA
by Gary E. Andrews - 10/07/26 11:11 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 774
Serious Contributor
|
Serious Contributor
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 774 |
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Judy: I'll have my votes in soon, once I've gone through my "long short list" and culled it a bit more. It's not an easy job because the quality of entries is so good.
*** (me) Yep, what you said! (My "short" list is also stretching that term too liberally. lol)
I'd just like to take a minute to agree with Blue in that I found a lot of the lyrics were poems and not lyrics, well written, but not what I'd consider a lyric and some were so long I completely lost interest and stopped reading before the end and probably missed some good things. My votes will go to lyrics which I would expect to hear on the radio and be able to sing along with, mainly because that's where I'll hear songs that I'll want to go out and buy.
*** (me) Hmmm. Interesting criteria. My faves generally go toward what I WOULDN'T hear on the radio. (Unless you're talking quirky programs on "college" stations.) I'm attracted to the unique; the challenging; the visually dense; the unusually described; and the blatently emotive. Like Pramod, I've got ones on that list that have subject matter I'm not particularly "in love with", but are undeniably well done [in my way of thinking of course], so there ya go.
During the time that we were posting our entries, I was enthralled to hear Hal David (the lyrical side of the Hal David/Burt Bacharach team) interviewed on the radio one morning as I was driving to work. He was in Sydney for a one only performance by Australian artists of 23 of his biggest hits. He was asked the inevitable question of what he thought were the most important ingredients of a good lyric. His answer was:
1. Simplicity 2. Believability 3. Emotional Impact 4. A chorus that supports the verses
*** (me) Yes, that pretty much covers it, but seems to more directly address "popular" song. Some of us also enjoy (1.) complexity and (2.) the arcane, as well as points 3 and 4. Leonard Cohen anyone? ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/wink.gif)
Sorry to go off track a little here but these simple rules will guide my final choices for voting.
*** (me) ...And I gots my criteria; and likely everybody else has their own too! ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif) (I think it's right on track regarding this "choosing" thread, BTW. Thanks for the input!)
And just for the record Brian, I'm not in favour of publishing any kind of performance record of how each lyric rated but I have enjoyed the discussion on this thread (especially from our Indian friend), and the chance to offer my thoughts on how I arrived at my top five. Thanks. Judy </font> *** And thank YOU, Judy and Pramod! ![[Linked Image]](http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/smile.gif) [This message has been edited by Ozone Pete (edited 09-09-2002).] [This message has been edited by Ozone Pete (edited 09-09-2002).]
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,099
Posts1,185,824
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"First came if only? Then came what if? After that I'll bet. Next was just maybe. Followed by Aha, I thought so! And eventually, okay, what next!" -Brian Austin Whitney on the stages of creativity and Just Plain Folks.
|
|
|
|