Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman
Songwriting forums...sort of a different topic... :lol:

I think Gregory and Ande are responding to the idea of making money writing for the market, which they always do well with excellent advice. They are correct that one should network, persevere, and adapt one's writing to current trends. But if I'm not mistaken, December is talking about something else: the appreciation by the average Joe of a timeless, perfectly crafted SONG. That's different from a hit. And I would agree that the world is much more interested in current, entertaining hits than they are in timeless songcraft.

Is it just as hard to craft the perfect hit? Yes. Is it different from crafting the perfectly written song? I think so. Sinatra used to advise singers to stick with only the best songs, songs that would transcend currency and stand the test of time. These days, I don't think his advice is good advice anymore.


I agree