Originally Posted by BIG JIM MERRILEES
I am not so much poking fun at religious people as pointing out the things I as an outsider see as being wrong or at least questionable. I simply ask that people check things out and do some research and apply logic rather than blindly following a faith.
It is surprising just how many people blindly believe in something or accept without question a faith or religious teaching. I will not insult any religion in particular but some of the practices I see religious people perform are so bizarre and ludicrous they are laughable. If there is a God and I doubt there is he must have a good chuckle to himself or get very angry.
I saw a TV program where a 13 year old girl from a certain Christian sect spent her whole life reading the Bible and handing out leaflets and shouting to people saying that they will all burn in hell cause they are sinners....Poor girl was so brainwashed by her parents. She had no friends did not attend school and had never seen a TV or even heard of the Beatles or knew who the president of USA was. This sort of thing is NOT funny just bad sad and depraved. Her demented parents should be sent to jail for mental cruelty. They were adamant they were doing no wrong she was simply being raised the way God wanted.


Wow Jim,

We have found common ground here. Unfortunately there are Christian groups and denominations who have taken the teachings of both the Old and New Testiment scriptures out of context and replaced them with the "laws of men" much like the Pharisees did. It really is unfortunate because they make a mockery of the teachings of Jesus and give original Christianity a bad name and subject it to ridicule by those who don't know better. There was a Penticostal fellow (don't know if he was a pastor or not) who used to stand on the back of a pick up truck at a local Wal-Mart, Bible in hand, screaming to everyone who passed that they were going to hell. I told him he knew nothing about me or my faith and engaged him in a debate he ended up not wanting to be engaged in. There were people standing all around during the event and many applauded. I never saw him again.

If that is the brand of so called Christianity you've been exposed to, no wonder you think it silly and absurd. That kind of behavior is not consistant with the teachings of Jesus or the Apostles. Nor is it consistant with the the writings of the prophets of the Old Testiment. Then there were atrocities by the Catholic Church in the middle ages and the list goes on unfortunately. But those are the works of sinful men going contrary to the teachings of Jesus in His very name. They will have to answer for their actions in the final judgement. But none of that is based on true Christianity.

Oh Jim...I do believe partially in evolution now. I've seen this thread evolve from a simple question into a myriad of other topics. Can you believe that your post was number 300 of what sprung forth from John's original question which had nothing to do with most of what followed? I myself am guilty as charged for that,lol.

Take care my friend,

Stevie


I'm the only person here who is not unique.