Originally Posted by beechnut79
Hey Mike:

Might as well jump in here with my one and so far only demo. It is titled "Jeannie(I Didn't Mean to Hurt You)". It is a straight up country ballad, an attempt to put some of the soul back into country music, which I feel has been largely lost.


http://soundclick.com/brianbeecher


JEANNIE (I DIDN’T MEAN TO HURT YOU)

c2009 Brian Beecher


It’s four in the morning
And no matter how I try I cannot sleep
My heart is hurting
And my head is sore and my eyes gently weep

Tuning in to what I said
To you that day is coming back to haunt me
Healing will be hard until
The day when I can say all this to you

Having to pay the price for it
Is something that I just can’t bear the thought of
Trying to have the confidence
And energy I need to pull me through
Oh, Jeannie, I didn’t mean to hurt you
But I didn’t know what else to do

Trying to make it up to you
Is so essential for my peace of mind
Hoping it would turn out well
Before another heartbreak I may find

Overcoming obstacles is
Necessary for me to start healing
I don’t want to go through life
Still thinking that I’m just a crazy fool

I don’t know what’s on your mind
I only know the way that I am feeling
But yesterday’s influences continue
Can I make it up to you
Oh, Jeannie, I didn’t mean to hurt you
But I didn’t know what else to do




Brain Beecher
JPF Mp3 Boards


Brian,

Listened to "JEANNIE (I DIDN’T MEAN TO HURT YOU) and feel you definitely have the soul and the heart happening totally. Unfortunately what you don't have is a hit song.
Great feel and good potential in this, however the lyric just doesn't come across universally enough. Specific name songs don't help that and once in while you'll hear one break through time and again.

Plus a few lines just takes the listener off of any solid focus.
Lines with words like these can take up space in a song quickly

"And energy I need to pull me through"

"Is so essential"

"Necessary for me to start healing"
That line sounds very in-personal more like your writing a letter not a love song. ya know?

"But yesterday’s influences continue"

The lyrics need a lot more substance and impact.
Musically nice arrangement but the wait for the chorus felt long,

The section with Jeannie being sung should have arrived sooner and played out a bit longer. Just for the purpose of making the song more effective I would start there. rebuild that chorus.

This section is where it loses impact quickly
Having to pay the price for it
Is something that I just can’t bear the thought of
Trying to have the confidence
And energy I need to pull me through


Also the stops the pause in the verses got to be a tad much. I appreciate the repition but I would try to alternate and let one sing through

here:
Tuning in to what I said
To you that day is coming back (pause) to haunt me

No pause there to really help build momentum this is part of what's pulling the song back.

Liked the guitar and vocal, sounded good. Nice work and very soulful indeed.

Mr Knowitall
Sublevel Music NYC


Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com