Yo Mr. K.,
I'm a sendin' you this lil' ol song o' mine fer yer listenin' pleasure. It features my mad skills on the geetar as well as some of my "down-home" hollerin'
Please let me know ahead of time which label wants to pick up my song, as I'll need time for the tattoo of their logo to heal before I land on the scene. I'm also missin' a front tooth and will need to borrow my cousin's if any close up shots are required.

Seriously Mike, here's maybe the third song I ever wrote, circa 2003, It's an upbeat and positive song....not my normal area of expertise. My husband always thought it was too long...but at least it's shorter than "American Pie"!
yerz, Ellen
thought I'd squeeze this one in before the deadline!

http://www.box.net/shared/ua9jrlg410

Writin’ My Own Rules

I.

a little child is wild and free
made up of individuality
until they become aware
of brand-name clothes and styles of hair
suddenly it ain’t okay just to be yourself
you pack up the “real” you
and hide it in a box on a closet shelf

II

.as a teen I tried to make the scene
by hangin’ with those gals
tryin’ out for cheerleading
anything to be their pal
what a mortifying mess
that turned out to be
‘cause in the garden of life, I’m a thorny briar rose
what you get is what you see


CHORUS:

so I cut the cord, smash the mirror
step out of the box
don’t you tell me I’ve gotta be something that I’m not
I’ll step on a crack, break your mother’s back
while wearing silly shoes
one thing you can count on
I’m writin’ my own rules

III.

proper, proper, proper
was how I was raised to be
cross your legs, fold your hands
and place them gently on your knee
but I learned a different way
by calling my own shots
one, two, three get ready
I’m pullin’ out all the stops


CHORUS

BRIDGE:

so don’tcha try to fit into someone else’s
idea of how to be
it won’t fit right, it’ll be way too tight
way smaller than it needs to be


CHORUS