|
11 members (KyleCrawford, texritter, Gary E. Andrews, Bill Draper, Guy E. Trepanier, Sunset Poet, Michael W. Brown, Everett Adams, bennash, 2 invisible),
53,757
guests, and
5,596
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Welcome to the Just Plain Folks forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a Guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and to other features.
By joining our free community you will have access to post and respond to topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!
|
|
|
|
|
|
Gone
by Bill Draper - 09/30/26 02:55 PM
|
Mara Cole
by Gary E. Andrews - 09/30/26 01:32 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997
Top 20 Poster
|
OP
Top 20 Poster
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,997 |
Kathy - I got it thanks! your first two phrase on the fisrt two lines are good then it drifts out of the pocket in the third and fourth. The down easy part is the next one that sits in there really well. Derek - I'm so glad.. One of my objectives was to boost and jack some people up with this. Mark - That's too funny!  I wanted to make it so we start thinking this hard about our own song ideas melodies as much as they are for this song. I have been crusing this Mp3 board for years now and one of the biggest things I notice often is the absence of hooks. This is primarily a practice in that and an observation of a whole bunch of little stuff combined. Words fitting with music, flow and meter, Being MusicalSometime you got to back off your better or deeper lyrical thoughts for the sake of the melody, groove and feel. Sometimes you have to let the music take charge and carry the weight a little. Then you have to try to get in the most effective lyric in there as you can, also whatever your feeling, or trying to get across. I'm actually in the process of co-writing a Novelty Like Song geared toward Country Music. It is not lyrically set for that genre but the style is and in todays market the lyrics are more wide open. One of the problems i have writing contemporary Country is the use of so many hokey lines and thoughts. Now If I'm trying to write a serious song and I try to use the word "Cornflakes" in it I run into a problem. It could be very clever and effective but the word is Hokey and soft to me, it makes me think of well "cornflakes" lol... then i start second guessing myself and start blushing in embarrassment. I can not get passed that so my biggest problem is in y own mind, it's against myself. SO when I was presented a song that had humour in it and was a novelty spoof kind of song it was much easier for me to come up with corny stuff. I took this first draft and started knocking this song all over the ball park, killing it with cleverness, that will make other writers in that genre go, oh yeah, that was a good one ,another great one, another great one... It's just getting past that mental block for me.. I'm struggling of course,, writing these style songs is hard just like the other styles, it takes cleverness, patience, research, and lots of work as well. What's fun though is having a title or concept to work with. It make s it both easier and harder at the same time. Much easier to think of stuff faster, but hard glueing it all together. I have a very good understanding of what goes into any style of popular music.
|
|
|
|
We would like to keep the membership in Just Plain Folks FREE! Your donation helps support the many programs we offer including Road Trips and the Music Awards.
|
|
|
Forums118
Topics129,059
Posts1,185,720
Members21,480
| |
Most Online236,505 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
|
"If you are stuck in your musical composing, be unreasonable. Change your environment. If you are stuck in your lyrical efforts, instead of forcing the same old words out, force yourself to do unreasonable things." -Brian Austin Whitney
|
|
|
|